PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic call up's
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 12:50
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This whole Olympic running/jumping/splashing about event is a Poison Chalice that only the Borgias could have bettered. UK PLC needs this gross extravagance like a Moose needs a hat-rack.

When London was awarded the Games, I bet a number of other countries (who had thrown their hat in the ring, but were since afflicted by the same fiscal Plague as UK) breathed a silent 'phew'.

Is there any hard evidence to show that any Modern Olympics has ever rendered a profit to the host nation? I think not; this is nothing but grandstanding (pardon pun) by UK Gov, with our politicos savouring the kudos of international prestige (they hope).

I am reminded of the years when Ireland seemed to win the Eurotrash Song Contest every year, which then saddled them with hosting the next dreadful instalment of the biggest Blight to afflict the Irish people since the Potato Famine of 1845. In the end, they entered some deliberately dreadful refrain first released by Walid Jumblat & the Druze Militia. Job done, & the Euromob moved on to graze other pastures. We could learn from this, offering to host some future Games in, say, Bradford?

HB

Last edited by Halton Brat; 9th Mar 2012 at 13:05. Reason: Spulling........