PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most fuel efficient twin?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 11:57
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is clamed to improve fuel economy by a significant amount so may go some way to solving the range issue.
I just read the AVweb announcement. The only claim I could find was:

BRP claims up to 30 percent lower consumption than like-power aircraft engines.
So I think they're comparing the 912iS to the likes of the O-200, and claim 30% lower fuel consumption than those. Well, duh. That's what the 912S already achieved.

I can't see any claim that the 912iS will have a significantly lower consumption than the 912S. And I would not consider that likely anyway: The altitude-compensated Bing carburetors on the 912S are already pretty efficient. Fuel injection offers a lot of benefits, but significantly lower fuel consumption isn't one of them.

Power output will be 100 HP too, by the way. Exactly the same as the 912S.

So betting on a better future for the P2006 just because there's a 912iS now is not a good idea, as far as I can see.

As far as I'm concerned, the 912 and 912S are great engines for two-seater VLAs and MLAs, and the 912iS will offer a few operational and maintenance benefits over the 912S. (But no significant performance increase.)

But putting two of them in a four-seater twin is just overreaching. Particularly since the whole contraption has to stay in the air if one fails.

Consider this: A realistic four-seater (not a "2+2") single needs about 160 HP. So any four-seater twin should require at least about 160 HP in each engine as well, to have any realistic flight performance on one engine.

And I am not the only one to distrust electronics even in a car engine, far worse for flying.
Rotax has an excellent reputation for reliability. Fuel ignition is something I think they've worked on for a long time. I don't think this has been some skunk works project where they are just trying out something. So for now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt (although that doesn't buy them much since I am not in their target market segment).

I would be interested in the ECU though. Did they design something from scratch, or just bolted on a stock standard automotive (e.g. Bosch) ECU, or something in between?