PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 09:53
gd44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would it take for someone to make money at Prestwick?
It really needs more than Ryanair to sustain the operation, especially in the winter months. I passed through the terminal more than once this winter and two departures/arrivals in one day cannot be generating a healthy income.

How do you interest other airlines in the facility when GLA is only a 30 minute drive away?

The current departure lounge, even though its been enlarged in recent years, is bursting at the seems during peak times throughout the summer season. Could you imagine if any other airline started a similar sized operation from PIK, operating at similar times, it would be chaos and extremley unpleasant for any passengers.

The boarding process is a nonsense, with passengers queing right through the middle of the departure lounge. When you arrive the story doesnt bode well either. When the 6 based aircraft return around 5pm and you have potentially ~1100 passangers packed into that tiny coridor trying to clear 4 immagration desks (of which I don't think I've seen more than 2 manned at any given time) it can take over an hour to pass through (personal experience).

Finally, 2 tiny baggage carousels for 6 flights, again located in a tiny space.

So what I'm trying to say is any new buyer will have to layout a massive sum to bring the terminal up to standard. It's not minor work either its a complete extension and rethink of the departures and arrivals area. Only then, in my opinion, would other airlines see it as being a competitive alternatative for the Greater Glasgow Region.

We havn't even touched on redesigning the main aprons to accommodate more aircraft.

Sorry for the rant, but the airport could be far, far better than it is and I think it's an absolute shame its in the condition that it is.