PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stuck for a year.HELP!
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2002, 16:59
BEXIL160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again,

I'll try to help. It depends where you are.... Pomey or Guz?

If you're down in Plymouth then it's gonna be a bit tricky, but if you can't anything aviation related use the time to bone up on all things to do with flying.

Start reading "Flight International" (it was brilliant, but not so good now).

Visit as many ATC units as you can. Just ring them up, explain your position and that you'd like to visit and they will be more than happy to help. Don't forget to ring Culdrose if you're down that way, there are lots of units at SeaHawk that can widen your experience. All good stuff come interview time.

Take one of the local flying clubs "trial lessons". even if you don't learn to fly, it will give you some idea of what this aviation lark is all about and you will hear ATC in operation as well.

If you happen to be up near Portsmouth, well much the same thing BUT... Do try to visit the London ACC at Swanwick. As before, a phone call is all that's required.

As for aviation jobs, you could try Southampton Airport. Don't worry too much about exactly what you get offered, at least you'd be at the airport and in position to get experience. many senior airline Capts, an more than a few ATCOs started sweeping hangar floors!

Rgds BEX.

P.S. Thanks for the mail. To answer you:

Killick RO (I think they are OM "c"s now), a LONG time ago (79-84)
Yes, your experience will help. Being to THINK calmly and clearly when your plan is all going to rats**t is essential!

Best of luck.

Oh, a quick P.S.

A mate of mine has just attended a resettlement course at NELSON. He tells me that the firms that are involved with immigration at the major UK airports are in the market for ex-RN personnel, for a job known as "profiling".

Can't help any more than that, but try ringing NELSON.

rgds BEX