PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most fuel efficient twin?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 05:22
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, I bought a new plane 10 years ago, for £230k inc VAT, and have never regretted it.

The warranty bill came to about £100k (largely because they built the panel out of a pile of "serviceable" avionics which came back from customers, I am 99% sure) but as I say that was met under warranty

And then I had really minimal unscheduled maintenance for 10 years.

So a case can be made for buying something new. It probably depends on how lucky you feel

But the Tecnam twin has a more serious issue of having insufficient performance for IFR long distance flights around Europe. I won't get you high enough for sure, and arguably it won't get you far enough in the often sparse matrix of avgas v. Customs we have here. Nobody is going to pay that kind of money for that capability. By the time you have that much dosh to spend, you will hopefully have been kicking around this business for a few years and you will know what mission capability is required for what. And if you are a fresh PPL with loads of dosh you will do what everybody else does and buy an SR22

They are aiming at FTOs and government surveillance stuff - just like Diamond with the DA42. There are actually relatively few private DA42 owners, and all those I know personally are deeply unhappy with it (mostly because of the Thielert business, but also due to general low QA) and even less happy with the factory and the customer service they get from there.

Last edited by peterh337; 9th Mar 2012 at 05:34.