PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 04:22
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SP, many thanks for the supporting info on the Antartic Whirlwinds in their "target-towing-orange" livery, great stuff!

I especially enjoy the penguin motifs. Extraordinary how animals take on greater significance when one has spent lenghty periods of time at sea!

Also interesting to note that HMS Protector was trawling the Antarctic at roughly the same time my godfather was serving as Chief Pilot for Christian Salvesen in support of their whaling expeditions.

Senior Pilota wrote: From the body language of the two in the foreground, looking at the floats, I would surmise that the inflation was "a bit of finger trouble, Chief"
Lol, I agree!

Presumably these three-bladed HAS 1's were of the cartridge-starting variety? I have this vision of the driver shouting out the instruction to load the incendiary followed by a loud bang and a cloud of smoke, lol, what fun it must have been back then!

A Hews by any other name!

A stable of 'Hughes's' at Denham Airfield in 1970 depicting G-AWVL in front of Ryman Conran's G-AVVS. A third 300 is just caught in the left of the frame (Photo: John Davidson)

Air Gregory's G-AWVL first appeared on page 20 of this thread.

Hughes 300 N70WT at Biggin Hill c.1976. Behind the little Hughes is Aerial Enterprises' De Havilland DH89A Rapide (Photo: John Davidson)

I was racking my brain trying to remember the location of this semi-circular portion of concrete at Biggin when the clouds departed and I recalled that this was the apron at the western end of Decca's hangar - a place where, if one waited long enough, one could be treated to the aria of a 'G' model 47!