PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows 8
Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 01:33
Dark Knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried it and it lasted for 2 weeks before returning to Windows7.
Unistalling required using the installation disk and returning the image whereupon all my programs worked OK.

MS; Just have to change for the sake of change. It is a computer operating system not a phone or Tablet; a system with programs for productivity and ease of use. We do not need, with with every upgrade, to have to go searching for things we have setup or have been using successfully through sevaral versions of Windows.

Start menu is just fine, the silly corner to get to the Tab page a right pain: I do not know how many times I have opened Excel just becaues it is near that corner. Then when I want to shutdown or find options, etc I have to fiddle around the right hand side or find a corner to have the choices appear.

The apps thing is corney and unattractive, give me icons which mean something anyday and then when I click to find all apps there are pages of apps relating to app help, app some other program, etc; a myriad of useless information.

Working with a number of friends still using XP, Vista they have a screen full of icons often with several shortcuts to the same program or MS word document, etc and are pleased & grateful someone can sort it out for them; they will be totally lost with the app thingy.

Then selecting and installing the apps; well some just did not work and after years spending time sorting out Windows & programs I have no desire to do it again & again.

Several programs used through XP, Vista & Win7 did not work, e.g. my label printer; checked it was installed correctly, `this is working correctly'; bulldust! Windows 8 says the printer in an `error mode'. Following reinstallation of Win7 it worked first time with no problems.

I am still trying to come to grips with the MS Ofice 2007 ribbon thingy spending countless minutes looking for things I once knew where they were and nowe ending up searching, searching?

Ok, I realise this is a Beta version but too much did not work and is change just for the sake of change.

Unless Microsoft have a big rethink about where they are going I will not be upgrading for a long time Windows 7 might be like XP which many people & companies are still using productively.