PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - James Blunt: Britain's failure to get troops into battle (theatre) is pitiful
Old 8th Mar 2012, 09:55
sharpend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Having served for 17 years with No 10 Sqn VC10, towards the end of my time I was becoming more and more angry with having to let down my 'customers'. Moreover, as captain I carried the buck most of the time and caught huge amounts of flack.

A good example was when waiting in Washington to pick up the incoming Ten from UK and take it to Belize, I was told it had turned back to Brize with engine failure. It arrived 24 hrs later at KIAD. I actually arrived in Belize some 23 hrs late on the original schedule (having made up one whole hour that day). Image my annoyance when I got a full blast from a very ignorant Brigadier who had missed his dinner party in the UK. Quote 'Why did I not charter an aeroplane to ensure he was picked up on time'

Worst still, my Stn Cdr demanded a full explanation from me as to why I was late!

But I can understand Blunt's frustration and that of the troops waiting to come home. But they, like Blunt, should shoot the MOD, not the crew.