PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2012, 08:30
Chugalug2

Received 227 Likes on 70 Posts
Hmm, as Danny was around at the time and was unaware of any of the sentiments expressed as told by Millerscourt, despite being one of the alleged "rotten fruits", I would suspect that this was more a case of an attitude towards America by Messrs J Newton Chance and D Peto-Shepherd. If it were otherwise then surely Danny and others would have been the first to know and in no uncertain terms?
There was then I suspect at the very least an irritation that the USA was once again to be a late comer to the party, that the British Commonwealth, and in particular the United Kingdom, had to carry on alone confronting Naziism, until Barbarossa and Pearl Harbour made allies for us of Russia and the USA. Could that be the explanation? These trainees had to be "harmonised" to European conditions at the AFU's anyway, so where better to hang one's prejudices than on them, depending whether they were Commonwealth or US products? I take the point that the Canadians were lumped in with the States as providers of overripe fruit, but perhaps it was their bad luck to be subject to "Location, location, location".

Fredjjh, a belated Happy Birthday to you. I see that Cliff beat us all to it. There has been some concern that we have not heard from him in a while. You obviously have. Good News!
Thanks for the minutiae of the pre-departure sequence. Perhaps the tradition included thereof, re the Port Main Wheel, might account for the much later failure of the Starboard one on my Hastings. It might have been once thus fitted to the Port Undercarriage of a Halifax!

Last edited by Chugalug2; 8th Mar 2012 at 08:55.