PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-61 rescue: One of longest missions ever?
Old 5th Dec 2002, 08:35
OOPS 78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen, I am sorry if I repeat anything already said on this thread, but I got so annoyed reading it that I just have to respond.

First I am a SAR Captain based at an RAF Mil flt somewhere near Elgin. I was in the Flt the day that the info for this job came in. The ARCCK asked us to look it over as a double check.

Hats off to Stornoway for doing the job. As a Cpatain you get asked to do a job and my decision making process is this.

Someone needs our help. Can we get there? If the answer is yes or maybe I'll go and have a look. It really is that simple.

I've lost count of how many times I have gone to jobs where the actual injuries are 180 degrees out from what was reported.

Our job is the 1000 to 1 long shot and we are all volunteers. If you are asked you go. There really isn't too much else to say. All those who question whether an aircraft should be risked, well I hope you aren't in a position where you need urgent help but someone in an office is doing some risk management.

The message is: Just get on with it. If you can't do it, you can't do it, but you should always have a go.

Rant over.