PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - James Blunt: Britain's failure to get troops into battle (theatre) is pitiful
Old 7th Mar 2012, 16:25
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Question is , the must be a glut off half decent airlines parked up somewhere . With all the airlines that have went bust in the last few years. Why haven't we looked at either a buy or long term Leese
Must admit I thought the article was a thoughtful piece and it saddens me (ex-RAF) to see you guys still struggling on with aircraft BA laid off a decade plus ago and which is now pretty much a museum piece.

Sadly you can't just buy a box labelled "bust airline" and have a ready made Transport Fleet..... Aircraft from the failed airlines have either gone back to the leasing company or in some cases off to the desert/side of a runway somewhere, and the crews and support staff will have dispersed to either the job centre or are already off to Emirates.

To regenerate one of these outfits would involve similar expense to starting up a new airline and I get the impression HMGs not going to foot the bill - so the RAF struggles on with the existing fleet ( and yes, IMHO it's wrong).