PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - new recruiting grounds for CX
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2012, 10:27
Steve the Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it somewhat ironic that there have been discussions on this forum regarding Indian cabin crew, most of whom are highly thought of by the cockpit crew community for being well-educated, engaging and able to have meaningful discussions without descending into innuendo (and understanding any innuendo!).

By contrast, here we are slagging off potential recruits without knowing anything about them. The fact that there have been a significant number of pilots flying without proper qualifications in their country is naturally of concern. However, it would be unfair to make assumptions based on the actions of some - it's a bit like saying all Australians are boorish, or all Americans are obese, or all Brits are toffee-nosed public schoolboys - you get my drift.

I would have thought that any recruit would go through the same process. Assuming any of these candidates from the sub-continent are successful at interview, don' t they then have to go to flight screening before they're offered a course? Assuming they're successful at flight screening, don't they have to sit the same exams as everyone else? Assuming they're successful with their exams, don't they have to pass the same flying tests as everyone else? Assuming they pass they course in Adelaide, don't they undergo the same conversion training as everyone else?

I seem to remember that one of the doctors who used to revalidate aircrew medicals was of Indian origin and most people seemed happy to work with him - or doesn't that count? Or is it a case of us being happy for Indian girls to make our tea but not happy for any of their brothers to fly with us. Bigotry is a word that springs to mind.

STP