PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hornets And AMRAAM
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2002, 02:39
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Smartman

Maritime strike is a primary RAAF role. Much more so than other air arms. I alluded to the sea-air gap doctrine so in light of this, what would offer a significant maritime strike option? What can Eurofighter offer? Would JSF not be an effective maritime strike platform?

Jackonico

Australians think of P40s and the Battle for Australia as the English think of Spitfires and the Battle of Britain. Nothing to do with relative capabilities, more an abandonment in our time of need!

This is not a chip on the shoulder, but the British have cost us dearly time and time again. The last is pertinent in our natural alignment with the Americans. Part of our defence relationship and alignment should be a bias toward their kit.

On Caldwell, I invite you to do some research. I know he would have prefered P40s to clapped out, hand me down MK 5 Spitfires with their worn out engines. We were getting pounded but the FW190 threat in Europe was more important to Churchill-all new builds Spits went to the RAF until we( and the US ) turned the tide- in late 43 we got the MK 8! The MK 5s cost us dearly in terms of engine failures. You are no doubt aware of Caldwell's first combat over Darwin.

On Bluey Truscott. He held the Japs at bay in New Guinea in P40s and tragically died in a famous P40 accident.

We foolishly stuck by a well entrenched British- RAAF doctrine at wars start. P40s offered but knocked back because British fighters would be made available. They of course were not made available. But oh what a difference a few hundred P40s would have made, especially in Malaya/Singapore.

Jacko, there is a generation gap between us, you may be surprised my great grandfather not a convict but lying in a war grave in France.

And on convicts, somebody who steals a loaf of bread to feed his starving English family, showing an initiative and commitment needed to tame this harsh and big brown land! Wasn't the English gentry who tamed it. Though the latter responsible for some spectacular military ineptitude.

Rugby, do Australains play rugby?

Aussie rules ( Bluey Truscott a famous footballer before a famous fighter pilot ) and cricket our primary sports.