PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More delays for the F-35
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2012, 17:21
WhiteOvies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That certainly makes interesting reading, although the Defense Aerospace article notes that those giving evidence are already noted opponents of the F-35, so perhaps not completely objective....

Where do they get the full capabilities of the Su 35 from, compared to the obviously common knowledge of the full capabilities of F35, to model from? I can't see the RAAF, USAF or LM handing over anything like the required information to be accurate whereas the Russians and Chinese are renowned for being free and easy with their military capabilities.

This statement also worries me: 'hypothesis that in 2018 the Chinese would have developed high frequency over-the-horizon radar which would defeat the stealth characteristics of both the F22 and the F35".

I read this as they ran the simulation using a capability that does not exist - where do you get performance data sufficent to accurately model on those systems??

Other comments such as:" the T50 PAK FA has been specifically designed to go up against, and be competitive with, and defeat, the F22A, the Raptor" seem to automatically conclude that they can.

"Russia and China are now well advanced in their production of advanced stealth fighters specifically intended to be competitive with the superior United States F22A Raptor" - Russia have 3 PAK-FAs, China has possibly 2 J20s in early flight test. Sounds like he's overstating the case a wee bit.

The report concludes with the statement that Australia is buying the wrong aircraft as the Russians and Chinese already have better. Does this mean that Australia should actually buy Su 35 instead?

I'm not saying that F-35 would wipe the floor with Su35, how would I know, but I feel that this 'simulation' and subsequent briefing to a Parliamentary Committee has significant holes in its logic.

Last edited by WhiteOvies; 6th Mar 2012 at 17:40.