PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Stupid Question (No3) Best Glide Speed
Old 6th Mar 2012, 16:56
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Stupid Question (No3) Best Glide Speed

My question is regarding how do I calculate or demonstrate the Best Glide Speed when in the takeoff configuration ( if indeed there is a difference). From the POH it lists 83MPH in a clean (Vs1) config.(I have figured a glide ratio when clean off 7.5:1 based on actually trying it in the air with engine idle) The reason I am asking is I was running engine failure on takeoff scenarios/plans at my grass strip factoring in obstructions at the end of the field and again at about 500 feet passed the end. Based on these obstructions I have identified a few areas to set her down if there is a failure from takeoff to about 200agl, however I want to quantify how the published best glide speed/glide ratio differs with TO flaps to see if they afford me the ability to reach the preferred landing spots. The plane is a maule mx-7-180A with flaps range as follows:
-7 Dgrs. (Cruise) , 0 Dgrs. (Normal flight), 24 Dgrs.(Takeoff) 40Dgrs.(Landing) 48Dgrs(Landing)

Any ideas? or am i looking at this the wrong way?