PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand Defence Force recruiting:
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2012, 14:23
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I was out there about 15 months ago and have spent a lot of time there in the past, but Europe is my home. The countryside is beautiful but parts of the society are violent and Auckland seems to be one large, and not particularly attractive, building site (not through natural disaster, but through the determination of developers to tear down anything more than about 20 years old!).

The food and wine culture is great and WASPs (ie you and I) tend to have an affluent and healthy lifestyle. However, cosumer goods are expensive - and cars - unless you want a second hand Japanese import with hockey stick mirrors - are very, very expensive. There is still a lot of 'Cultural Cringe', so much so that local media will report what car someone was driving eg ' John Smith arrived at the rugby ground in a BMW/Mercedes/Audi', irrespective of the age of the vehicle. They wouldn't comment if it was a Mazda or Holden!

I could go on...but the bottom line is that most Europeans who immigrate here do have second thoughts (especially wives). However, most do stay and most do have a great lifestyle - but just don't compare it with living in Britain.