PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LOA Cut Again
Thread: LOA Cut Again
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2012, 11:38
Seldomfitforpurpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver
I'm very glad for you SFFP. I hope the government will not decide to save money and reduce your pension by 50% in a couple of years. You will not be fazed. After all you have argued that nobody should rely on what they will be given in the future so they will just have to accept it. I am on record in a previous thread saying that if what you suggest happens then what will be will be, I will simply suck it up and join the millions of others currently "sharing the pain"

You bleated about the pay freeze that affected the increments calculating your pension. Hardly a bleat just a simple response to post #25 and I actually wrote "Oh the irony of the uninformed, my pension thanks to the 2 year pay freeze is down the best park of 2k a year with not far 7k gone from my handout so my whole future as opposed to whats left of a 3 year "sunshine" tour is being affected by the current financial crisis, the main difference here is that I have not started a thread whining about it Civilians had six or seven pay freezes that affected their pension. Others lost there pension completely because of the actions of the government you are serving. Yours will be index linked and guaranteed by the government. Others, like mine, are relying on the voluntary payments, amounting to £millions, by my old employer to keep the scheme going. That stops; my pension stops. Perhaps if you had stayed in that would not be the case, not really sure why you are criticising my 38 year commitment.

And you begrudge somebody, who has been voluntarily posted overseas, sufficient money to make ends meet, a £540 per month allowance designed specifically to help top up on essential purchases ONLY hardly seems bad.

Forces personnel are professionals. The day of the Press Gang and joining to stay out of prison are long gone. If somebody is sent overseas at the behest of the Air Force to do a professional job then they should be treated as such and compensated for the buggeration factor, they are. Everybody else in this world is.

The last married accompanied tour I did, (in the sunshine) I received about £100/month in LOA. THAT WAS IN 1971. You will have to factor that by fifteen to get today's equivalent. Cant even remember what ours was in in 81 but I seem to recall during the 90's it fluctuated between mid teens and mid 30's per day and caused us no angst.

In civilian life my first LOA was eighteen years ago and the was £400/ month with everything except food found and four return flights back to the UK. My last LOA was £3,600/month but out of that I had to support myself completely and pay for my own flights. £1,000/month accomodation and food; £450 return flight. They are ball park figures worldwide, as I know, having worked worldwide. Relevance?

That explains that comment.
Lets not let the facts get in the way of the debate eh