PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EE Canberra book contributor request
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2012, 11:04
Dave Vickery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Those were the days.

Hi Steve, It just so happens that I had recently started writing my RAF Life Story for my children when I came upon your posting here whilst doing some research.

After Boy Entrant training from 1952 to 1954 at RAF Yatesbury/Cosford I was posted to RAF Bassingbourn and the B2s in 1954. After that I spent most of my time on PR types, PR3 and T4 at RAF Merryfield and RAF Wyton. PR7 and PR9 on which I did the acceptance checks into service at RAF Wyton. At the same time I serviced Valiant B/K/PR1 of 543 Sqn and the Victor B/PR1s of Radar Recce Flight, later to become 51 Sqn. I was also on Christmas Island with 100 Sqn Canberra PR7s for Operation Grapple 'H' Bombs in 1957. At RAF Bruggen in Germany we had the PR7 and B(I)6, both of which I was involved with. I then left the Canberras after 13 years.

Upon returning from RAFG I went to RAF Marham TTF/232OCU on the Mk1 Victor Tankers for four years then on to RAF Kinloss as a Nimrod Crew Chief for six years. I was demobbed from there in 1977 on my 40th birthday.

I did my degree during those last few years, graduating in 1978. I worked for about a year at Marconi, Rochester on RAF/Naval Sonar systems, then lectured for the Aircraft Engineering Training Wing (REME) at Middle Wallop until promotion to the Royal School of Artillery, Air Defence Wing in 1981. There I remained until MOD forced my retirement in 1997.

In recent years I have read much about the USAAF 8th Air Force and RAF Bomber Command in general. My hobby is taking off in my caravan and visiting the old airfields of those two commands. To date, i have visited and photographed the memorials at 42 of the 69 8th Air Force airfields in UK. I visit RAF Bomber Command airfields when I see them but next year I hope to work through the various groups of the command as a whole. It is very interesting and I am sometimes amazed at what I find.

Well dear chap, my intention was to offer you full access to my life on Canberras but I seem to have moved into waffle mode. 'Once a lecturer always a lecturer' I suppose. Please feel free to contact me and I shall be happy to pass on any material you would like to have.

Take care all, Dave.