PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2012, 06:37
Hofmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QINETIQ GAZELLES

ZB265 is probably one of a couple of Gazelles used by the test pilots based at nearby Boscombe Down. When I was there 1992/3 and 2002-4 they were primarily used by the Empire Test Pilot School to instruct on the basic techniques required to test and evaluate helicopters - hence the additional instrumentation.

I remember one exercise involved assessing the helicopters service ceiling. The Gazelles were fitted with oxygen equipment and the pilots wore parachutes. When I enquired why I was told that an autorotation from well above 15000ft following an uncontrollable fire would take too long, so controlled abandonment was the answer.

ETPS also had a dedicated Lynx AH7 and a Sea King. Latterly, I know that ETPS were attempting to acquire a modified A109. For arguments sake this A109 was supposed to be "fly by wire" which would enable its handling characteristics to be "altered" in flight. The fixed wing students had a similar facility in he Bassett and Hawk VSS aircraft. I know that ETPS now have a A109 but it arrived after I left Boscombe Down, so I couldn't confirm it's capabilities.

Just too add I never did the ETPS course so these ramblings are from a keen fast jet pilot from elsewhere at Boscombe. I did manage a trip in the Lynx one day looking at the various forms of the vortex ring state and how to get out if caught. Interesting! Keep up this excellent thread.