PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2012, 03:22
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is funny to see one operator who insists that the jacket is really a shirt and it is to be tucked in!
Until reading this it's something I had never given any thought. Wore the two piece in civil and combat, and wore it not tucked in. Would be a pity on reflection, if the shirt was to ride up for some reason and singe, or worse, the midriff area. After all, you are wearing it for a reason, not that it's always going to save you.

The aircraft hit extremely hard on the chin bubble and just seemed to crush flat to the ground at that point. No bounce, just sort of crushed like clay. The fire was a terrific ball that immediately engulfed the entire aircraft. "As I orbited the crashed chopper, we watched in disbelief as a figure stood up and walked out through the boiling flames. I rolled around and then giving myself enough space for a 'flying approach,' we were able to land close to the chopper. "By the time we landed, just moments later, the aircraft and whatever was in it, was a burning black heap in a pile. Like I said the burning figure just walked out of it. He didn't bump into anything or even climb over nothing - there was nothing left. I know that the gunner and crew chief were burned in the crash. The ammo on the aircraft was cooking off and exploding now, not to mention that there were still a lot of bad guys shooting at us from various positions in the tree-line. I was seated in the cockpit on the right as AC and I had landed my ship next to the crash on my side. I sent my door gunner out on the left to lay down a covering fire. He had the M-60 going to town with a 100 round belt draped over his shoulder. While the gunner surpressed, the crew chief ran out to the burned pilot - it was the co-pilot. His Nomex was completely burned away. Nothing was left of his uniform or his boots except a small band around his waist where there had once been a belt and part of his flight helmet. There were no ears, eyes, hair, or facial features left. When the crew chief removed his helmet, he was to find that the foam liner had melted to his head. He appeared to feel no pain.
He did not survive.

If you are going to the extent of wearing a nomex suit, go the whole nine yards. Helmet, no nylon/polyester of any sort (never understood why pilot jackets are nylon - get leather), nomex gloves, leather watch band (worn over the nomex sleeve, not against the skin), all leather foot wear (preferably boots).

Meanwhile. Siiiigggghhhh.

EAA Video Player - Your Source for Aviation Videos