PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glass Panels Vs Steam Gauges..??
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2012, 00:25
DBTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rusty, I think you are right. Glass is quickly becoming the norm.

Do you remember when not having a mobile phone or a computer was considered "cool" and intellectual? Now such people are considered quaintly anachronistic, and nearly everyone has both. In the not too distant future, only electronic instruments will be available.

In terms of aircraft instrumentation, the message is clear. Get used to glass cockpits.

NB: there is no competition between glass and steam driven instruments...all we are doing here is discussing pilot preference.

Over the past several decades, glass and digital presentations have become better and very much easier to interpret. What I see as the danger is that individuals are using the simplicity of operation for new technology as an excuse for not understanding important aspects of flight. Or even worse, they employ electronics and automatics to the extent where their hand flying skills have become unrecognisable. This seems to me to be the real topic here. At the beginning and the end of the conversation, whether they are steam or electronically driven, the instruments are still just instruments, and they are aids to flying, not the means. We must guard against the new technology narrowing our boundaries and decreasing our skill levels, because the aim of the new technology is to release brain capacity to enable a greater understanding. With that said, pilots must still have enough faith in their instruments to stake their lives on them, and be able to use them without becoming overwhelmed by the volume of information.

There is a big follow-on to that last statement. Pilots must also have enough faith in their own skills to be able to stake their lives on being able to continue to fly should the new electronic instruments revert to being sexy looking blank screens. IE: if you are worried about how you would fly without the GNS1000, or with the auto-pilot disengaged because that is how you fly and keep oriented, then maybe you need to look out a bit more and practice some hand flying.