PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2012, 21:51
Danny42C

Millerscourt,

This is a most surprising story. I have never heard of it (which of course is no evidence that it didn't happen).

Cliff (where are you?) can answer for the BFTS in the States. I can answer for the Arnold Scheme. Is there anyone out there who can answer for the SFTS in Canada?

First shot out of the locker: the two authors quoted speak of graduates coming back to the UK "from Autumn 1941". The first Arnold/BFTS people only started out there in July, 1941 and (to the best of my knowledge) did not finish until January, 1942. There would be a time lag before they appeared at AFU - see my experience below. On this basis, the only people they could be talking about must be from Canadian SFTS.

To illustrate the time frame I am talking about, I append my own dates:

"Wings" 6.3.42.

PRC Moncton 9.3.42. - 19.3.42.

(Transit to UK and (hopefully) some Disembarkation Leave).

3PRC Bournemouth 30.3.42. - 3.5.42.*

9PRC Harrogate 4.5.42. - 4.6.42.*

9 (P) AFU Hullavington 5.6.42. - 30.6.42.**

57 OTU Hawarden 1.7.42. - 21.9.42.

* Illustrates the extent to which we were "bug--red" about in those days.

** Perfectly normal AFU ("UK Familiarisation") There was never any mention of the existence of any "re-SFTS" Courses - and I must have been there right in the middle of any such Course going on. (Could nobody know about it?)

As to the gravamen of the charges:

a): We followed roads/railways under cloudless skies - "Guilty as Charged, m'Lud". - so did everbody else out there!

b): We couldn't fly in the blackout - there was no blackout! - did they have blackouts in Aus/NZ/S.Africa, then?

I would like to see "further and better particulars" of this - preferably from some official record.

Danny42C