PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LOA Cut Again
Thread: LOA Cut Again
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2012, 21:28
Seldomfitforpurpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scuttled
SFFP

Agreed and fully understood. The latest small cut is based on the traditional calculations of the complicated equation. However, the previous 50% cut was not. Surely you can see that point?

Innocent Man

Again surely you can see a £600 per month pay cut is also just that?

It's all part of the general erosion of pay and conditions. I can't believe you think that this is a good thing.
A couple of points then I am out of here,

1. Where did I say this was a good thing?

2. You have not had a £600 pound pay cut. Your pay, like mine and
everyone else's has been effectively frozen for 2 years, what you have had is reduction in your allowances.

3. Your LOA was based on a financial formula that has now changed and it has been calculated that you do not need over £1000 a month
to buy the specific items your LOA was intended for.

4. LOA was never intended to compensate for loss of a spouses
wages.

It's quite clear that you and others on here have a totally different outlook on LOA from me. For the 7 years we were paid LOA we fully understood what it was for and that it could change at the drop of a hat therefore never relied on it.

There seems to be a general feeling in here that LOA is some sort of compensation package for all the supposed drawbacks of overseas service but it's not, it's a specifically targeted allowance whose value goes up and comes down.

Sadly for you it has come down by a big chunk and whilst it will be of no comfort to you yours is really not the only allowance that has been hammered over the last year or two and if the worst you have to put up with is an extra £540 a month to help your annual wage fill your shopping basket etc you are hardly being hard done by.