PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you noticed the increase in cabin baggage?
Old 5th Mar 2012, 19:27
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oriana, you have described it perfectly.

With all due respect Spanner, I have observed on many occasions the bagagge loaders being withdrawn -10 to departure and the handlers (especially in Sydney) moving off to unload/load the next aircraft. I'd regularly end up on the airbridge with 6-12 oversize bags, with no-one pickig up the phone, the dispatcher had off to god knows where and the clock is ticking.... I've done my bit... where is everyne else?

Safety reports do diddly-squat, I must have lodged a dozen or more in my time at QF on this very issue. Never got a response.

A large problem as mentioned is the pax. They flat out refuse to put a laptop bag under the seat in front. Refuse to take my advice that on the 767 the inboard locker is smaller than the outboard and stow their bags accordingly. Ignore me and do what they want. Clock ticking. Now have to rearrange said bags. Numpty refusing to put the laptop bag out of the o/h and under the seat in front of him is holding up the exit row briefing as those pax have no choice but to put their bags up (o/h above exit row is taken up with assorted sh!t like jackets, small handbags etc. Verbal altercation ensues when pax are politely asked to hold jackets and stow handbags under the seats. Pushback cannot happen until briefing is complete.

Boarding held up while bags are in aisle. Crews getting frayed tempers after copping (uneasonable) abuse from pax who think they have the right to carry on a small horse.

In my opinion these are the issues:

1. Ground crew not backing up cabin crew b/c they don't want to deal with it (quote from ground crew in Sydney some years ago "I don't get paid enough to deal with this sh!t")

2. Inadequate signage onboard (my suggestion for placards for Priority Storage for Exit Rows was ignored by 2 airlines)

3. Differing cabin configurations. QF in particular needs a separate test unit for as long as they operate the 767.

4. Clearer baggage rules printed in BOLD WITH PICTURES on the back of boarding cards.

5. Check in staff who actually gie a rats'. Unfortunately those of us that do, and try to do our jobs properly, get so pissed off with this current state of things that we quit, thus making the problem worse. It's a vicious circle.

I could go all day.

If you think cabin baggage is bad in Oz or US, come fly in the Middle East. It's ridiculous. Full hold-sized suitcases coming in as 'carry on'. Don't think so mate- back to the gate for you!!!

PS- for those who think the overhead locker above their seat 'belongs' to them- if someone has carry-on sized bags in there, and is sitting within a row or two, then they are entitled to keep it there. The locker is a shared space, there is not one for every seat. For you to move it because you're so dependent as to need your bags right above your head, is extremely rude and could leave you open to accusations of attempted theft from said bags if anything is missing. You pay for a space to stow your bag IF AVAILABLE, if not then board sooner. IF the bags are bigger than carry-on size, feel free to advise the crew who will deal with it accordingly.

Behaviour like this doesn't help the situation and often leads to fights onboard.