PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2012, 19:20
Colonal Mustard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always British

I had the fortune of visiting the islands a few weeks ago (no i`m not a Times Journo), although i had limited time down there i took the chance to visit as many of the graves in memory of the brave lads who sacrificed themselves to allow the islanders to remain British.

The three "individuals" have the right to say what they want to whom they want (the right to freedom of speech and all that), however just a few minutes in the presence of heroes buried on the island (and those whose graves are the sea) bring home why the islands will stay British.

I took the moment to pull out the obligatory "brasso" and gently cleansed what i could, although only 9 y.o when the F.I war took place i still remember key events...Sheffield being hit, HMS Coventry on fire...and the now famous Brian Hanrahan quote from the deck of HMS Hermes.

To stand on the spot where H . Jones was killed and then to stand in what remains of the Argentinian trench where the shot is believed to have come from will bring a lump to any man`s throat.

To read the ages on the headstones in San Carlos cemetery(19/21/28 etc) and then the 2 para nominal roll at Goose Green made me realise just how much the islands mean not only to the islanders but also to Britain.

To see the islanders living life to the max (as best as they can with at least an hours drive to the nearest pub) shows their sacrifice has given the islanders hope.

And i was fortunate that it was the summertime so was extremely idyllic but i can imagine how hostile it must be when i could see the trees parallel to the ground at right angles..

Hopefully the words that the argies spout are merely hollow, however i for one want them to remain British for as long as i shall live ... and i dont live on the island.

CM