PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand Defence Force recruiting:
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2012, 16:45
Aynayda Pizaqvick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude,

There was over $6 billion dollars in the NZ Natural Disaster Fund and the Earthquake commission estimate that the shortfall will be less than $500 million by the time all claims are done and dusted. I would argue that the cost of the Earthquakes to date is actually pretty well calculated for anything tangible. And best not forget that we are only talking about one small part of what is not a small country - that's like warning people off moving to Scotland because there were riots in London!
NZ is now quite expensive for Brits going downunder. Gone are the days of getting $3.5 dollars to the £ and having a cracking cheap holiday but the dollar is strong because the economy is strong. It has an economy based on tangible, quality and much needed farming goods that are in high demand in rapidly expanding China and SE Asia rather than dodgy financial products made up by millionaire bankers. Petrol maybe $2 a litre but the UK equivalent is around $2.70 nowadays!
When the recession came knocking I think there must have been about 4 million smug Kiwis sitting back with a nice cold beer, comfortable in the knowledge that they are pretty self sufficient and Asia will always need more meat and milk than they can produce.
Go down and have a look before you commit to anything. It IS a lovely country but its a bloody long way away and their main base, Ohakea, is in the middle of nowhere (never been there myself but friends tell me its location on the 'Desert Plateau' is a somewhat apt name). If you go there and fall in love with the place then do it.