PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA seeks to raise Airline Pilot Standards
Old 5th Mar 2012, 16:18
KAG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peteroja:
Coming right at 200 hours in an airliner will make you miss all the basic training you'd get as an instructor, then charter/GA... pilot. So your point is to take the least expereinced pilot and make him an Instructor so he can learn? is that not an OXMORON
I have never said such a thing. You have your own way to comment reality.
I was speaking about building experience. You very first job doesn't have to be PPL instructor if you decide not to, but an airline job with hundreds of pax as your first job?
Anyway, the instructor route at the begining of the pilot career path is not something I ve just invented and that doesn't make any sense, that's in fact how most of the north american aviation career path starts and works.

Denti:
Of course all AF guys had other flying experience than just airbus after 200 hours of cadet school, read the report. In fact only the two copilots were cadets, the captain never was.
I beleive I said: the 2 pilots on commands.
The captain was not at the controls, never was. In fact he came in the cokpit only when the situation was completely messed up already and already stalling like crazy when he came into the cokpit (he was outside the cokpit getting ready to sleep, maybe sleeping, when the 2 F/Os lost the control of the airplane).

I beleive the 2 pilots at the controls that day, 2 F/Os, were hired at 200 hours and never had anything else than Airbus experience. I could be wrong. Please quote the reference concerning the experience those 2 had.
It shows the system has failed.

All in all a very, well, light touch on reality in your post there. By the way, could you give us a complete list of qualifications that are absolutely necessary for airline flying that one aquires during those years as instructor, charter and GA pilot?
Fair enough.
Before entering the cockpit of an airliner, I would do as the canadian system works (and I beleive this is the best system and has to be taken as a model): some captain (turborprop would be the best) mutli-engine before being called by an airline using single aisle jets (Jazz, Air Canada, West Jet...). There is no rule about that, transport canada has not written anything mandatory, but the fact shows that this is mainly how it works with a few exceptions.