PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odd approach to Nice on Saturday
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2012, 14:22
BSAA1947

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To BOAC and Denti, many thanks for your input, it's appreciated. I had noticed that if the wind was 090 then 04 would have been the more favourable runway anyway, but it's interesting to learn that 04 is normally in use even up to a 10kt tailwind. That certainly makes the announcement about landing in "the opposite direction" very curious.

My friend was very clear about the wording of the unusual PA announcements. Bearing in mind their odd nature and knowing my involvement with aviation since the 1960s, that was one of the main reasons he thought to mention it to me, hence me consulting the experts on here. I suspect that, as you say, this will remain a little mystery.

Incidentally, I didn't keep the METAR I found for the time of the approach but this is from a couple of hours after -
LFMN 032300Z 09007KT 9999 FEW011 BKN013 13/10 Q1022 NOSIG

As I said, thanks both for taking the trouble to reply.

Finally, to swiftski, I've re-read my initial post and can't find the part which would have antagonised or caused offence to any normal person, or which might prompt such a ridiculous and unhelpful answer. I'm afraid all you achieved with your answer was to allow me to form an opinion of you which I didn't have before, and to cause some unnecessary wear and tear on your keyboard.