PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA seeks to raise Airline Pilot Standards
Old 5th Mar 2012, 09:35
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as a point of perspective.

Why do the Airlines want to hire the inexperienced and the 'integrated'? Why don't the airlines want to train their own 'Aircraft Managers' anymore? After all the aircraft and the Airlines safety record are critical business assets to any airline. Ask the CEO of a blacklisted airline how many premium bookings they get and it won't be many!

Simply put it is cost. Newbies cost less to keep, they have paid for their own training and it is only beholden on the Airline to train them to the minimum required for legal operation, i.e. LPC/OPC. The day to day line experience can be pulled along by experienced Captains, until the day comes that the experienced Captain suffers a problem and isn't there any more!

The whole cutting of the training has resulted from immense pressure on airlines to cut costs in a harsh, over capacity operating market. Why are airlines, $ for mile, the cheapest form of public transport in the world (notwithstanding Ming How the cheapest rickshaw driver in Bangkok but I believe he is a private enterprise)?

Perhaps when the passengers realise that they have a direct fiscal input into ensuring that those in the front, with whom they have entrusted their lives, are entitled to fair renumeration for their skill set then maybe Airlines will have the finances to invest properly in those who fly their aircraft.

While we continue to plumb the depths of cost cutting to provide 'Joe Bloggs' with a seat cost less than the fuel cost we will never see proper, considered, investment in pilot training. We will, generally, be the buffer that smooths out the fuel price spikes.

Personally I believe an Airline funded Cadet system, based upon pilot selection which considers skill and suitability, run internally either at airline cost or bonded, is a far better system of ensuring suitable entrants to the cockpit. Having 250 hours or 1500 hours is irrelevant if the basic skill set is not there or the applicant is someone who you can sit in a locked box for 12 hours with. I've seen military pilots with 3000+ hours who couldn't transfer their skill sets to civilian aviation and 250 hour Cadets who's willingness to learn and natural ability made them a fantastic asset in the cockpit. Obviously the inverse applies as well.

Correct selection based on personality and ability is the key, not the ability to pay. When they are in the job, allow them such a wage as to be able to live in a condition which is condusive to reporting for work adequately rested and refreshed. Allow a roster which does not induce fatigue due to over work or the demand for overtime in order to pay the bills.

This won't happen until the ticket prices reach sustainable levels.

All IMHO of course!

A109, S61N, UH-1D, MBB105, EC135, A319/320/321, B777