PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does Airways post new ATCO's in New Zealand?
Old 4th Mar 2012, 22:52
bigonge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Where does Airways post new ATCO's in New Zealand?

Hi,

A couple of quick questions for any NZ ATCO's out there from a nearly-middle-aged ex-Aussie with an out-of-date Australian CPL now living in the UK and working as an Air Traffic Control Assistant at a well-known but soon to be decommissioned airfield in England......

I'm aiming for a move to New Zealand in the next 12 months with a view to training and working as an ATCO.

1) Is Airways the only operator of Air Traffic Services and control towers in New Zealand? In the UK some are run by NATS but many privately owned by corporations or local councils. How does it work in NZ. I want to know who to approach for training and work.

2) How do Airways channel their recruits? I want to work in a tower at an aerodrome. I don't function well in the long run when I am stuck in window-less rooms staring at computer screens or radar screens all day. The impression I have so far is that Airways channel all successful trainees into Aerodrome control first, with progression to Rad/App & Area Control coming later if desired. If that's the case then I'm on to a good thing as I WANT to work in a tower.

3) Do you know if Airways give their trainees any say in which aerodrome they go to once they have completed their training? I would really like to end up somewhere warmer than I currently live.

Thanks