PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More delays for the F-35
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2012, 14:05
Not_a_boffin

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts
LO

By plan B I meant a long-term substitute for F35 in the event it gets canned, which the SuperBug most definitely isn't and neither is Typhoon. We all know just how long the whole requirementeering, budget definition phases of a new project currently take (though whether they should do is perhaps a more pertinent question), so starting again should be very much a last resort.

However, if in say 12-15 months time, there is still no C hook solution or the other variants hit trouble, then I think a total rethink of the F35 programme will then be necessary, including perhaps a look at the JORD to see whether the parts really do equal one aircraft with variants. At that point, it may be possible to try and define new programmes, but I am not hopeful that the will (let alone budget) exists to make it work.

I think we are furiously agreeing that the programme should be allowed to solve the most obvious problems in the near future. My wider point is to those hysterically calling for immediate cancellation - we're not at that point yet and may actually be damaging the chance of eventual success.