PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More delays for the F-35
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2012, 12:24
Lowe Flieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why have a fifth generation stealth aircraft and then use it for close air support in daylight and loaded down with external weapons?' I just cannot understand the logic. Surely the welfare of those on the ground is best preserved by 'more bangs for the buck' as opposed to billions of dollars of wasted fifth generation technology?
It is all part and parcel of the 'multi-role' concept which is intended to be a cost saver - one platform does everything. The UK has gone this way, intending to have only Typhoon and F35 to carry out all its fixed-wing fighting, and since the US defence budget has hit the financial buffers, they are now starting to go the same way - F35 is to replace A10's for example.

Like you, I cannot see the logic of using very complex and expensive weaponry against low value targets. In Afghanistan, the idea of using a less complex COIN type - Super-Tucano or the like, has gained some support but is currently mired in politics, protectionism and the courts.

I understand and agree with getting better value for money. Military spending in the UK is disproportionately high for the number of assets we get for it. But the right balance between multi-role and the appropriate tool for the job seems to be illusive.