PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASDA < TORA?
Thread: ASDA < TORA?
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2012, 03:10
OverRun
Prof. Airport Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
richjb,

Thanks for the explanation. The FAA RSA is rather like the ICAO runway strip (or more accurately the graded strip). Both are similar dimensions, but different names. The dimensions of both vary with aircraft class (i.e. size).

ICAO matches FAA using a combination of runway strip and RESA. The ICAO runway strip for a medium airline jet is typically 150m (500 feet) or more wide and runs the full length of the runway to extend 60m (200 feet) beyond the end of the runway at each end. The RESA starts beyond the runway strip at each end and extends at least another 90m (300’) or the recommended 240m (800 feet). It sort of matches the FAA’s RSA which I show below using the image from the useful 9CCARDCAip07.pdf reference you mentioned.

FAA runway safety area

ICAO runway end safety area

BTW I say typical because there are many ICAO runway strips for airline aircraft which are 300m (1000 feet) wide, and some which are 300m (1000 feet) wide but only the central 150m (500 feet) is graded and constructed for the passage of an aircraft without undue risk.

However there are still a number of subtle differences between FAA and ICAO here, and it is important not to blindly copy from one to the other (i.e. RSA is much wider beyond the end of the ICAO strip; RESA is stronger pavement).