PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FLying in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 16:36
djtaylor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victorian

I obtained my BFR there last year before the mountain flying element was introduced. I used Auckland Aero Club I spent about 6 hours which included a bit of tuition some flying and a written exam which I completed and returned the next day.
The NZCAA closes over new year but the application was processed on their first day back. I hired an AAC 172 for a week and had three days flying and two watching the rain.
We only flew in North Island and I did take the aeroplane away for the night.
AAC restricts some airfields to use only after a landing with an instructor but this was not a problem.
Flying in South Island as a short term holiday stay seems to be quite difficult because few operators will allow solo flights because of the historic accident record. I flew with various clubs with an instructor. The day we had booked to fly from Queenstown it was a bit lively and we cut short our original plan, later that afternoon a 172 was flipped on its back by the wind.
Overall we had a great time met some interesting people and my wife got some Tiger Moth time at the Croydon Aircraft Co.