PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus ILS course
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 15:57
flash2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9.G what does the track diamond have to do with flying a localizer? The aircraft will adjust it's heading to maintain the localizer.

It doesn't really matter if that is a true heading or magnetic heading. In fact you could fly limited panel ILS's in a simple SEP without heading information at all. LOC deviation to the left, fly left, to the right, fly right. In the middle keep the wings level etc.

During decrab the aircraft only needs to lineup its axis with the localizer, and the drift angle is solely dependent on wind.

Now if there is 0 wind and the heading is 5 degrees off the localizer course, than that would lead to a problem as it indicates a non-existing drift. But that is heading, not track diamond!

There could be various other problems with the track diamond, as it is a calculation based on more variables.

I guess that MH problems could happen with an out-of-date magnetic variation database, but as you said yourself regulated by airbus and also by the airline through pre-approval of airports at which an autoland can be made. It does not require a check at 350ft in my view. And again the limits you mention are nowhere to be found.

That check is done before TOD during briefing, at least in my airline.
Here too, but that is what the FCOM says. The other limitations you mention are nowhere to be found.

Last edited by flash2002; 3rd Mar 2012 at 16:25.