PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More delays for the F-35
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 11:12
Not_a_boffin

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts
Engines

I was going to reprise the history of the programme myself, but you did it so much better. The B always had the UK STOVL requirement thoroughly embedded, so it is absolutely right to suggest that it isn't just a Marine shibboleth.

My point about RVL was not to denigrate the TPs that made it work on CdG with VAAC or the aircraft variant. My concern has always been that in an operational environment, RVL is an unnecessary risk - no other form of landing at sea that I can think of results in such a limited range of options (bang out) at the end of the first approach. Once the ship became large enough for F35C ops, given the difficulties B was having with the UK bring-back requirement, the decision IMO was a no-brainer.

That said, I agree that the B is a fantastic technological achievement, even if it looks god-awful when it dirties up. However, I think many people's concern with the B is down to whether the JORD actually fits what non-US operators may be after. We have an aircraft optimised for high-end strike missions (JSF, JAST and SSF speak for themselves) and although I've seen the ACM and BVR engagement modelling results, (which were very good IIRC) I am a little worried about the aircraft in a OCA/DCA role.

As there appears to be a growing hysteria about both the aircraft and ship programmes (some of which can be pinned on LM overoptimism), I personally think it would be a good idea if folk allowed the programme to concentrate on the operational development and testing without constant brickbats. Although I too am concerned that future UK & US fighter design and production capabilities rest on a single programme, constantly dumping buckets of ordure on the programme is not being helpful. Indeed, there appears to be an element (and I'm not talking about Boeing) that would be delighted if it failed, but don't really have a credible alternative other than Typhoon or F18, neither of which are the long term answer. If F35 fails, then you can kiss any other manned aircraft programmes goodbye for ever, as there won't be anyone left to design them. UCAVs btw are not the answer to everything in the future either.

Time to let F35 try and deliver it's requirement methinks.....