PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nats atcos to spain?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 09:14
Daermon ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you can see, there are many of us who would change workplaces without a second thought...

As pointed by Lssar, the current work situation in Spain is very dire. Leaving atc work for any other occupation is very difficult... and yet I know several cases where some colleagues have done it, either to work as a pilot, as engineers or even informatic consultant.

The other option would be to move to another country to work as atc. I thought of Canada but they are no longer accepting trained foreingers. Within Europe almost any change would involve a loss of money even with similar terms due to different cost of life. Nevertheless I would accept that even within reasonable parameters.

My problem is not really my current salary or working hours (which I believe are good given my current salary/workload ratio... but I do not work at an ACC or LEMD/LEBL, where the huge burnouts are) but rather the other stuff not currently mentioned.

Aena can do with me whatever they want at any time and with perfect legal cover. I will not say I'm a modern-era slave, I am fully aware that the mayority in spain (not to mention other countries) would kill for my job. Nevertheless I do exist as a property of the state who can do with me as it pleases... my liberty remains only to go away... and even that only when I'm not needed.

Given the current legal framework, If I did walk away if my tower was about to be privatized I could be forced to ensure training for replacements, just as those over 57 were forced to do so in 2010, when they were removed from control positions by law and some left the company to work somewhere else.

Another thing that has nothing to do with money but is also one that would make me gladly leave this country is my current branding as a criminal. When meeting new people and asked about my job I always say "technician at the airport" or when pressed some vague terms including "air navigation". Saying that I'm air traffic controller will put me automatically on the bad side of that person who has heard for the last two years that I'm an egoist, robbing poor people by making air navigation costs double so that I can reap a fat salary for working 10 hours a month.

When my children are old enough to go to school I will have to teach them likewise or they will be constant targets for bullying.

I have written to Nats and to Ireland, got in both cases polite refusals... I've heard that DFS does not require german for upper airspace so will probably try there now that Canada is also off-limits. I might consider even Dubai or thereabouts although my wife won't like it at all... and I'm not currently so desperate as one colleague who went to work to Irak.

Just curious, I heard there was a no-poaching agreement within the mayor ANSP in Europe so that they would not take controllers from one another... anybody heard anything about it?