PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR mixed mode trial
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 09:07
DaveReidUK

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts
The trial period for using LHR's 2 runways in mixed mode is ending soon, with the next period covering the Olympics. My observation is that it has very rarely been used during the trial period. Does anyone in the ATC world want to comment on whether useful experience of mixed mode has been gained?
To return to the original question, Phase I of the trial has now ended, to be followed by 4 months of analysis of the results. Any lessons learned will be incorporated in Phase II, which will take place over the summer/Olympics period, starting at the beginning of July.

I guess a good question at this stage would be whether any strategies have emerged from the trial that ATC can continue to use over the intervening period, i.e. measures short of enhanced TEAM/TED but which can be deployed on a day-to-day basis, or will the operating regime in the meantime revert to that which existed pre-trial ?

Incidentally, I understand from the group who are tasked with doing independent validation of the published trial results that they have recommended the stats be withdrawn and re-done to eliminate "incorrect manual data manipulations" which have affected both the daily and monthly figures. I don't know whether that recommendation has been accepted, or if it has, what timescales will be involved for the rework.

I assume this, if done, would address all the various issues mentioned in previous posts: incorrect movement counts, reporting night flights against the wrong day, missing TEAM instances, failing to identify which freedom was applied, wrongly reporting runway usage, etc.