PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAA v Mil Flying Clubs
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 08:47
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAA......flying clubs........ Why ?

Quite frankly I would hope that the MAA would have better things to do than mess with aircraft that are maintained and operated with far more mature safety oversight in this sector of aviation than the MAA can offer.

The UK CAA has overseen a general aviation industry with an accident rate that compares with the best in the world despite the UK having the most changeable weather conditions of all the best players in the safety stakes.

Having been around RAF flying clubs for some years now I have formed the opinion that post holding officers would do well to take the attitude that as long as the flying club is operating within the rules of the UK CAA & EASA they should leave well alone, I have seen misguided safety rules imposed by people who don't understand general aviation that have increased the risk of an accident by inposing rules that might be appropriate for service aircraft in a remote operational enviroment but not for a light aircraft flying over one of the most populated areas of the UK, surely this type of interference no matter how well intentioned exposes the person making the new rule to increased risk rather than showing a duty of care.

I look at the instructional staff at the RAF flying club that I am involved with and I see a breth and depth of experience that I doubt you would find on a squadron and I find the aircraft (used for instruction) maintained under EASA 145 just as are all the civil aircraft on MoD contracted work.

So I would ask those who are minded to impose more rules on RAF flying clubs to show a duty of care by leavening the running of the the clubs to RAF flying clubs association and the Regulation to the UK CAA & EASA, then if something dose go wrong it is happening under another compident regulatory authority and so not your problem as you have placed the oversight to persons better placed to manage the risks of this type of aviation.