PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question for IFR Charter guys
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 00:42
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ralph has to be the first guy with a PPL not to ask to sit up the front and ask if they can help out/log any of it/fly it in the cruise!
As soon as they mentioned to me they were a PPL, for weight and balance purposes they sat up the back

There was nothing more annoying than having a half baked PPL looking over your shoulder judging your actions with limited knowledge of commercial VFR or IFR flying.

I was always very happy to have the commercial guys up front (you could always learn something if they threw a bone), and over the years had guys from BA, Qantas, Cathay, Air France, Virgin, united, all share my space. I even let - Qantas 744 Captain fly the Airvan on the scenic while I gave my usual half arsed commentary. He thoroughly enjoyed himself and was surprisingly very very accurate (on heading, on alt, the needles didnt move) for someone who never hand flew.

The PPL who ruined it for me was the usual expert that chewed my ear off for the first half an hour, then got silent after about 45 mins, then started to look visibly panicked.

I asked him, everything okay mate? And he said "where is your WAAC and why haven't you position fixed??" (IFR Flight, PA31).

I replied, "I don't even have a WAAC chart with me, haven't carried one for years" (I did)

I then received a lesson on 1 in 60s and how best to navigate for the remainder of the flight, anyway it kept him busy with his wiz wheel and his Waac chartS (cluttering up my space) for the remainder of the flight