PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proper jet landing technique
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 23:17
gorter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by framer
Another thing that came to mind,
If your Vref is 140kts and there is a 20kt headwind component, and you carry 10kts , you end up with a Vapp of 150kts.
In this situation, you are targetting 150kts as you fly down final, if you see 153, 154kts it is natural to think öh well thats only 3 or 4 kts above my target, no big deal¨, but I think that it is worth remembering that you are 13 or 14kts above Vref, thats a fair bit of energy that you have to lose prior to taxiing off the runway. It would be preferable (in my mind) to be 3 or 4kts off you target speed the other way, ie be 146kts, 147kts. In that situation you are still carrying a buffer for the wind on Vref but you haven't added energy that has to be dealt with at some stage.
I'm not suggesting that you don't fix these speed excursions, just that it is better to be below your Vapp driving back up to it than above it trying to lose energy if you have an additive that is more than 5kts.
This is just my mindset and I would welcome constructive criticism of it.
Cheers, Framer
Just a thought. Surely energy to dissipate before turnoff is a function of groundspeed and not airspeed. Say you have no wind and a vref of 140 then my a/c we fly 145 ias and have a g/s of 145.

If on the other hand we have a 20kt headwind we fly 150 kts (vref + 10) but have a g/s of 130 kts to dissipate surely even flying 3/4 kts fast we still have less energy to dissipate than on a wind calm day. I'm not advocating anything but flying what your FCOM states and I may be wrong in my thought process, but still food for thought.