PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rewards of being a pilot Vs. Reality
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 16:15
Mgp88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Research results

Thank you Drakestream for your reply,

All the information you've provided has definitely given me a good starting point on my research. Following up on my first post, I would like to show the information I've found so far:

First of all I would have to pass a class 1 medical.

Assuming that I pass my next step would be to get my commercial license and work up hours to get into the airlines. With my situation, time is working against me. I've talked to someone from one of the major pilot schools here in the U.S. who gave me some an option.

There is a 5-6 month course which takes people from Zero hours to a commercial license (Private license, and instructor license included). After I complete the program I would have: 270hrs logged flight time, 115hrs Multi-engine, 105hrs single engine, and 50hrs simulator time. In addition they say that I am guaranteed a job as an instructor upon graduation (earning $1800-$2000USD per month). I asked him how he can guarantee all the graduates a job, and he told me it's because they make much more than what they pay. I guess it sounds reasonable, but like you said, I need to go in with my eyes open. As an instructor, he said I would work 7 days a week and get 80-100 multi engine hours per month. I would do this until I get the hours and experience to get hired by a regional. From their records, they say that most pilots earn in the neighborhood of $35,000 in their 2nd or 3rd year at the regional level.

To me, this sounds like a promising option, what I want to know is if the price is worth it. With everything mentioned above included, their price is $65,000 (USD).

If I were to pay separately for the licenses, testing, flight rental, instructor time, fuel price, and anything else that might be included, it would probably come out less than $65,000 (I need to do some more research to find out exactly how much). But if it saves me a year or two in flight time, and they guarantee me a job, does it sound like it's a good deal?

Morv