PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 15:37
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO and Beags,

Perhaps I can help you out here.

'Cat and trap' has been an accepted bit of naval aviation terminology for around 40 years. Yes, it's an in-house term (I could, offhand, come up with many used by the RAF - so could you) but it's not especially confusing. Not to those who know about the subject - admittedly not many of us. Our bad, I guess. But it's not 'bolleaux'. Nor is it 'stupid'.

The 'B' in CATOBAR and STOBAR doesn't stand for 'But', it stands for 'Barrier'. So, it's Short Take Off Barrier Arrested Recovery, and 'CAtapult Take Off Barrier Arrested Recovery'. I think both are a bit clunkier than 'cat and trap', but it's personal choice, I reckon.

STOVL was what the Harrier did - the Invincible class carriers just provided the operating base for them. And they were small, not little. Unless, of course, your definition of a 'little' airfield is one that could support and operate 9 Harriers every day in all weathers for 6 months.

Bottom line, if you don't understand the acronyms, it doesn't mean they are 'stupid', or any other term you want to throw around. It just means you need to get a bit more informed. hopefully, this post has helped you do just that.

Best Regards as ever

Engines