PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to train in derbyshire????
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 09:38
SamHudd1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently doing the PPL course at Donair, and can't rate it highly enough. Admittedly, I don't have any experience of the other local schools other than having had a trial flight at Derby.

My usual instructor at Donair is really top-notch. Explains things well and gives a thorough brief. He is also patient despite my habit of dropping the aircraft on the tarmac from 5 ft in the air!

The instructor I've had a couple of times seems when my usual was off seems to be pretty good too.

I'm currently in the circuit phase of training, and tend to average 6 circuits per hour. There was one when I managed 7, and one when I only got 4 in. The longest wait at the hold has been about 5 minutes, so nothing unbearable.

In terms of cost, it's (despite a recent slight increase) quite a bit cheaper than Derby, and home landing fees are included unlike at some schools located at a regional airport.

My only slight criticism would be that you need to book a few weeks in advance to get the slot you want as it seems pretty busy. Maybe internet booking could help.

Having read that back, it looks like an advert! I have no vested interest in the flying club, other than as a very satisfied student.