PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glass Panels Vs Steam Gauges..??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 05:47
morno

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
To be able to be safe in an automated and glass cockpit environment you need 2 crucial things:

1. PROPER TRAINING! Understanding what it's telling you, is the most important thing.
2. Proficiency. If you go out and only do one or two flights every 6 months in a glass cockpit, then you can't expect to be safe.

I've spent various hours on half glass setups and full glass setups. The half glass setups, while good, are still not really that much better than traditional steam. The full glass setups though, the level of information you can have as well as the capabilities of the system (when you're talking automation added into it) is beyond what you and I can do by ourselves without a lot of thought and hands on flying.

Glass can give you a lot of information, but you still have to remember the basics, KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. Another words, it might be nice to have some information on a screen, but if all it's doing is clogging up space and distracting you, get rid of it. Information overload can put you into a dangerous situation probably more than information underload (is that a word?) can.

The 3 rules of glass and automation (they go hand in hand these days):
1. What's it doing now?
2. What's it going to do next?
3. What have I told it to do?

Those 3 things have kept me alive so far, .

morno