PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you noticed the increase in cabin baggage?
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 05:02
SpannerTwister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(1).......... with a dash of common sense thrown in.

(2).....I've have pulled up male pax with three or more pieces tell me they are carrying them for a female colleague who has already boarded..... but what can one realistically do in most cases?

(3)......Cabin crew can be pressured to make it work

(4).......as current procedures have the baggage loading equipment withdrawn when the last pax scans their boarding pass

(5).......which can easily be ten minutes before they enter the cabin (let alone attempt to find room for their luggage).

(6)........This means that the pax luggage, which is fully compliant with (or even less than) the allowance is not able to fit in the cabin and will follow on the next flight (hopefully).

(7) Try telling someone going to Adelaide for 4-8 hours that their bag will be 2 hours behind them! Not a position most cabin crew are comfortable with.

(8).......Back up from the pilots would be great, but do they have the time to be exerting such authority in the current work environment......
I really think we're close to finding the cause of the problem with excess cabin baggage, It really seems to me that STAFF don't / won't enforce the rules !!

(1) OK, Sounds right off the bat you knowingly allow "some" excess baggage on as a matter of course

(2) What can you do if someone presents with three bags....Tell the pax that HE is permitted TWO bags, and if his female colleague wants to come and get hers FROM THE BOARDING GATE she is welcome to come back

(3) "Pressured" to do their job, which is to stop the excess baggage that they are complaining about ?

(4) Not your problem, besides the B737 can have bags thrown in the holds basically right up to pushback, the belt doen't leave the B767 "boot" until just a few minutes before pushback.

(5) As above

(6) There would be more room for compliant luggage if the non-compliant luggage was stopped at the gate !

(7) "I'm sorry sir, you bag exceeds the allowable limits, we can try to get it in the hold for you if you like but it might miss the flight."

(8) Agreed, If the cabin crew / CSM find something over the limit the flight crew MUST back them up 100%

As long as the cabin crew do not enforce the baggage allowances, who can complain if passengers bring what is indeed permitted by the cabin crew ?

Sure, the Jetstar / Tiger / LCC passengers whine and bitch that they need to check in half a day before their flight, but THEY KNOW THEY HAVE TO, AND THE CONSEQUENCES IF THEY DON'T !!

I'm sorry, but your post just seems to me to be a bunch of reasons as to why cabin crew don't enforce the rules.

ST