PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to train in derbyshire????
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2012, 22:52
fwjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donair at East Midlands are a good bunch of people. You get the advantage of learning from the get-go about mixing it with the big stuff, so it's not intimidating. Downsides are that it might cost a little more, and you can spend a fair amount of time either at the hold or orbiting to land, which is wasting your flying time. Plus in the circuits phase of your training, you can only get maybe 4 landings an hour, while at a smaller GA airfield you might get 7 or 8 circuits an hour. That said, I have flown with them and found the whole experience to be a great one.

You might also consider Tatenhill, which is not too far from you. I don't know all the options there, but I do know Central Flight Training and they seem to be a genuinely decent outfit as well in my experience.

My advice is to visit a couple of schools in a couple of locations, see how people are with you, see what the atmosphere and attitude is like. Don't be put off by scruffy decor or tea stained mugs, unless it translates to the aircraft too. I'd rather a school had decent kit than being all shine and no substance.

Take a trial lesson, there's no commitment, and see how you get on with the instructor. If you feel like there's a rapport, but still professional approach (briefing, explanations, feedback etc), great. If not, bear that in mind - either look for other instructors at the school since not everyone suits the same style of instruction, and not everyone instructs in the same way, or alternatively walk away and try somewhere else.

Finally, don't pay everything up front. Sometimes you can get a discount for block hours booking, which can be worth doing, but only pay for one block at a time.

Good luck, and enjoy!