PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glass Panels Vs Steam Gauges..??
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2012, 19:30
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having a lot of time on Glass, and learning on steam, I would say I am happy with either.

The advantage of modern EFIS systems is all the litttle extra's that may not directly influence ability to fly on instruments, but can make for better flying safety due to good info.

An example of this is real time wind vectors, you are not needing whiz wheels or calculators and taking your eye off the bigger picture as much.

IVSI is easier to hold altitudes with when hand flying....once I learned to use that well ....thanks Chuckles

Situational awareness improves with the moving map gear as well. At a glance you can get a better SA picture.

As for ability to hand fly in so much as "handling" the aeroplane, I would say no big deal. For a newbie to glass, initially I would say it is worse, until they get some time on it. After doing my CIR on steam I found the change hard work for a bit, so I forced myself to fly to TOC by hand, until I was used to it. Now I still do it, no AP, just to keep on top of it all.

So how about a nice little EFIS in ya Tiger Griffo? You will need a battery