PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA seeks to raise Airline Pilot Standards
Old 1st Mar 2012, 19:07
proudprivate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After the usual senseless drivel about how much better UK CAA trained pilots are compared to FAA trained pilots, we're finally getting to the point :

...they would be better served by getting a real degree in something other than aviation.
1. With the job market what it is at the moment, what would be a good way to stimulate wannabe pilots to get a real degree in a field that gives them a reasonable chance of a daytime job that transcends flipping burgers ?

2. What is wrong / unsafe about the current system (i.e. allowing for a low hour CPL in the right hand seat to build hours and experience) ? Is there statistical evidence on incidents or operational reports that support such a change ?

3. My first flight instructor was one of those aviators who got his ATPL after 1500 hours in a variety of singles, some of it instructing, most of it self flying, funded through his daytime engineering job. Earlier, he had his CPL through one of those accelerated courses (not the one advertised). He since paid for his own 737 type rating. With his judgement, skill and experience, I frankly see no reason why he would not qualify as a good FO on an airliner (not that he'd ever want that - he instructs as a hobby and is making 4 times the salary of a first officer while never leaving the ground).

4. What would the curriculum of a young aviation enthusiast that wanted become an airline pilot look like post the proposed FAA regulation ? Would it still be doable ? Or would you actually need to develop a two-track career ?