PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 2
Old 1st Mar 2012, 15:58
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been following this thread for some time. I had a professional career in aviation lasting about 46 years. I feel desperately sorry for all of you who are either swimming or waiting for interview or assessment.

I have been particularly interested by some of the postings from folk who claim to know what is actually happening in BA. I am sure that they post with some confidence and with the best will in the world that they really DO have a handle on what is going on but the aviation business is such that their superiors themselves have very little idea about what is actually going to happen.

Aviation recruitment is very simple. Who was there when the phone rang? Believe me, it is the ultimate form of crisis management. Nobody knows what is going to happen next. You might as well get used to that idea.

I will give you a small example of what happened to me.

I was at home on standby on a Friday afternoon when the phone rang. It was the chief pilot. "Is there any reason why you can't be in DFW on Monday morning?"

"Why" said I.

"We need you to do a PLC" said he.

"But I did one two months ago" said I.

"Not in the left seat" said he.

"Just as well I didn't tell you that I was off for the weekend" said I.

"Indeed", said he "I have a little list, I have a little list".

So, make sure that YOU are there when the BA phone rings, otherwise you will be left behind.

Good luck to all of you.